I really have no clue as to how this works internally. The test is if your
mail server shows up in the administrator then the function will work for
it. Basically, this is the function used in the admin to do that check.
My thought is that it does a tcp/ip request to the port specified. If so,
then maybe it can also be used to specify if a server or service is running
or not. Use it to check if an FTP server is running on a machine.