sorry about the very broad question.

but what are some things that could cause a web server to almost be 10times
slower.
web pages that were taking ~3,000ms are up to ~30,000. same with others that
were at ~200ms are at ~2,000.

is seems to be the query/db access time.   it's affecting both Access and
SQL backed web pages.

Access itself seems to be running fine.  but SQL Manager seems to be running
real slow.  takes over 2 mins to just display a list of the tables when a db
is chosen. and then almost 4 mins to display the design table.

I have reviewed the logs, the only listing, but is not consistent is that
the administrator account fails on accessing  \winlogon   Object type:
desktop.  EventID: 560 looks to be trying the access \winlogon once a sec.
but this is not going on all the time. This will happen for about 3 mins
then stop.

the changes to the server I can think of, MS office and SQL 7 have both been
reloaded. This is not an active server,  once this problem gets fixed, it
will be, so work load is not a factor. It is a WINNT 4.0, 1 GB RAM, dual
800mhz CPUs. using CF 5.
I have tried to turn the different services  off,(CF, WEB, SQL), but this
does not affect the problem.
I am at a loss.  any suggestions will be appreciated.