Our main RDBMS is starting to suffer under the workload. We're going to buy
a faster box now, but as a mid-term plan someone has recommended lumping
client data together on different boxes (ie 2 companies on 1 and the other 3
on another) and make the shared tables available as views (proxy tables,
IIRC). I guess it's like a hard-coded database load-balancing.

Then, when a new client comes along, we can decide whether to stick their
data on one of the existing boxes or buy another.

At some point in the future, when we move to a different RDBMS (and we
will), we'll then (probably) recombine all the data back onto one box.

My hunch is that this in 2 years time, we might end up *really* regretting
taking this route. Anyone had any experience of this situation and any
advice?

Thanks

Aidan
--