Most HTML messages that are sent out are done this way.  It's much easier on
the mail server and the email reader if the images aren't included in the
body.  If you must include them, I posted some code here a couple months
back that you may be able to use.  As far as limits, there are no known
limits.  A lot of users have limited space in their inbox, though,
especially people with free email accounts.

tom