Hi Folks,

We've come across a difficult to track down problem and we're wondering if
anyone has experienced this behavior before.

We use client variables exclusively. With the initial request to the site,
we perform all the usual browser checks and such, caching that information
in Client variables. In addition, we set a session cookie (e.g. one that
expires when the browser is closed). With each successive request, we check
to see if the session cookie exists: if it does, we extract the cached
information from the client variables.

This seems to work fine in most of the time. However, there seems to be a
problem with generation 4 and up versions of Internet Explorer in which the
session cookie never gets expired. Consequently, if a user hasn't been to
the site in some time, the client variables have been deleted, yet the
cookie exists so the application expects the client variables to exist.
Needless to say the application tries to access a non-existent client
variable and throws and error.

We have a work around in place but it bothers us that we can't determine
what the actual cause of the problem is. Our best guess is that some users
are running personal security software with cookie management, something
that integrates into Internet Explorer.

If anybody has any ideas, we'd love to hear them.

Benjamin S. Rogers
http://www.c4.net/
v.508.240.0051
f.508.240.0057