Sorry if this is off-topic, but I'm interested in the views of this group
who know a lot about commercial sites ....

I have been asked by a small but international client for my view on the new
.biz domain names, and to my shame I hadn't really thought about it much. So
I've tried to think through all the issues involved, and would appreciate
the views of this list on the matter.

What do you think needs to be considered about pre-registering .biz or .shop
or whatever domains?

Here's what I've listed so far .....

(1) .biz domains are global, so when you've got a name you've got it
worldwide, whereas .com, .co.nz, .com.au, .co.uk etc aren't.

(2)  If you don't pre-register your name in the .biz domain, someone else
can end up taking your name.  This might or might not be a problem depending
on how important the .biz domains become.   Do you guys think that these new
domains will ultimately be as important as the .com domains?

(3) If you don't pre-register your name you could find your own domain owned
by an opportunist who will hold your name to ransom until you buy it from
him at whatever price he wants.

(4) If you have high traffic, someone else could use your name in one of
these new tlds  and use it to drive traffic to their site, parasitically. So
you could end up with your customers being directed to a porn site or
anything.  And all at your cost.

(4) Compared to the potential cost of having your name held to ransom or
used by a competitor or even a porn site the cost of the new domains are
chickenfeed.

Is there anything else that needs to be taken into consideration?

Cheers
Mike Kear,
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks.