1) In CF 3.1 there used to be a problem with deleting email No.1
(especially if it had an attachment).  I don't know if this has been
fixed in more recent versions of CF, but in any case I always pre-load
the mailbox with a "dummy" No. 1 and then manipulate all mails from no 2
onwards.

2) There is no need to loop through deletes in this way... CFPOP accepts
a list of index numbers to delete.