Ok I am hoping to make this clear.
I have a page that uses 2 tables for display.  This table is set in an index
page, not on the actual display page.
The one column lists all the options (which homeroom student to change
grades for) and the 2nd one shows the grades that can be changed.  It works
fine.

I added a page where teachers can add reading students to their to their
groups- then they can change the grades just for that one subject. This is
set up exactly as the 1st page, except for the fact that only the one
subject is shown. (confidentiality reasons-don't want reading teacher seeing
math grades/etc).
The adding students/grades works smoothly.
The problem is the initial call to this new page.  I have my first page set
up to show a msg if there is no student id-- "please pick a
student...blahblah".
I wanted the same thing (Or to default to the 1st student) for the reading
page too.  This doesn't happen.  What happens depends on which page I come
from- the 1st page that lists the homeroom or the update reading class page.
1. If I come from the homeroom class it works fine- I get the list of
students and the msg "please pick student...."
2.  I can return to the homeroom page without any problems- it goes to the
first student.
3.  If I come from the update students in reading group I get the same
student (not in the current reading group)that it always defaults to the
same student.

I can't figure out what I need to do different to make this also default to
the msg or correct reading student.  Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,

My query for this is a simple select query that uses a where clause to
<CFQUERY DATASOURCE="#Request.dsn#" Name="StuR">
SELECT FIRSTNAME,
                LASTNAME,
                FIRSTNAME
                STUDENTID,