General question here -

I'm going to assume windows allocates certain percentages of memory (RAM)
      to specific software programs, is there a way to change this?  The
      reason Im asking is I frequently run out of memory (RAM) and get odd
      error messages from programs saying not enough memory.  Well, I have
      recently upgraded my work PC to 1/2 GIG of RAM from 256, but still
      get these screwy messages.  I admit I do have a lot of applications
      open on my workstation but I would think I would run out of 1/2 GIG
      of RAM that easily. I am running a P3 667 w/ 500 MEG RAM.

Applications running when error messages occur:

IE 5.5, MS Access 97', windows explorer, Lotus Notes, SQL query analyzer,
      SQL Enterprise Manager, AOL instant messenger. (I would not think
      this would be enough to yield memory errors, but as soon as I shut
      one down all is well.)

Thanks,

Casey Cook