How flexible is the process of generating excel files?
I need to have an output that is dynamic for the columns and rows.
For example:

                #student#       #student#       #student#       #student#
#Skill# #grade# #grade#         #grade# #grade#
#Skill# #grade# #grade# #grade# #grade#
#Skill# #grade# #grade# #grade# #grade#

Translating into:
                JohnSmith       JanSmith        SamJones        sandyJones
Reading     C              A               A               B
Math                B              A               B               A
English     B              B               A               C

My tables are normalized. There are many tables that make this info.
1.  One reference table that lists all the skills.
2.  One table that shows student information.
3.  One table that lists the studentID/skillID/Grade (hooks the student info
with the skills reference table).
4.  One reference table that lists the quarter and dates of the quarter so
only the current quarter prints out.
Is this possible?
What are the steps to making it so?  Do I need to make the information into
an array(s) first?
I've read the how to from Ben's CF5 book and the tutorial from cfcomet.com-
but of course I want to make things more difficult.
Thanks in advance.