No, I don't think that is it.  I have been playing with it some more over
the past few minutes and am finding it seems to have something to do with
the table.field syntax.  If I even do:

SELECT      crossref.TERMID, crossref.CROSSTID, crossref.CROSSTTEXT
FROM         crossref

or just:

SELECT      terms.TERMID, terms.TERM, terms.DEFINE
FROM         terms

(which I copied straight from the query builder) I get the same error
message.  How can this be?

--Aimee