Not much trouble at all.  I just recently upgraded 3 servers from various
installs of SQL 7 with many different configurations, SP's and such.  All 3
went smoothly.  When you upgrade, you will need to attach the old databases
to the new server, and any clients you upgrade will lose their registered
servers in the MMC.  You will just need to make a list of the servers you
have registered.  Also, in SQL 2K you can either leave the old database
files where they are, or you can copy them to the new location and then
attach them from there.  If you do this, then you can get rid of your entire
SQL 7 install so you have no more dormant files.  I was surprised at how
smooth it went.  One issue I had was the tendency for SQL2K to change its
default port from 1433 for TCP/IP since there was already SQL 7 on that port
(at least I think that is the reason).  I just had to go in through the
Server Network Utility and set it manually.  That was a little confusing at
first since I just couldn't connect through my firewall on the given port,
but once I realized it wasn't even connecting on that port, it was an easy
fix.  Hope this helps.

Alex Santantonio
Lead Developer
Macromedia Coldfusion 5 Certified Professional
Macromedia Certified Web Site Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.doceus.com