> As I understand it, there are two types of cookies -- cookies
> that are written the client's disk and cookies that are "session"
> cookies and are stored in the browser (and therefore lost when
> the browser is closed).
>
> My assumption is, in using session variables, you are relying on
> these session cookies.

No, by default, the CFID and CFTOKEN cookies created by CF are persistent.

> Will session variables work if all cookies are blocked?

They can work, if the developer is careful to pass CFID and CFTOKEN values
from page to page consistently. CF doesn't care how you pass these values
from one page to the next - cookies make this easy, but if you can't rely on
cookies you can put the values in URL parameters.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496