Ben,
        Thanks for the suggestion.  After researching this option I now have
another question: will this allow me to produce the effect I am looking for
because both tables can have null values.  An example would be:

Table1
ID   Value
1     5
2     7
3
4     15

Table2
ID   Value
1
2     5
3     12
4     16
5     3

So the result set I am looking for would be:  5, 12, 12, 31, 3
Thanks,
Bryan Langford