I've gotten into the habit of working with dates and times using whole
numbers and fractions rather than the many built in CF functions for working
with date/time variables.

For instance, to create the time one hour from now:
<cfset later = Now() + 1/24>

Or to get midnight seven days from now:
<cfset midnight = Int(Now()) + 7>

Or exactly 36 hours prior to some date/time:
<cfset then = mydata.dtfield - 1.5>

First, is CF's internal representation of dates and times on *nix systems
similar to the implementation under NT?  That is, using floating point
numbers representing a number of days past some baseline?

Secondly, any opinions on whether this going to come back and bite me in the
butt when some future release of CF comes out?  I know the date/time
functions isolate the programmer from the internal representation of these
values, but using things like CreateDate() and DateDiff() and
CreateTimeSpan() is a pain when much simpler shortcuts are available.

Jim