FWIW, we create Excel spreadsheets by sending table data and
it works fine in NS4.7, too. The main difference is that in IE,
Excel opens in the browser whereas in NS the user is prompted
to either save or view it. If they choose to view it, a new instance
of Excel is opened and the spreadsheet is displayed there.

Regards,
Stephen