From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 11:01 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: SQL Server 2000 desktop version.

> It's called msde.  It comes with Office 2000/XP.  Not Really a
> desktop edition but rather a scaled down implementation of SQL Server.
>
> As far as I know, if you have an Office 2000/XP licence, you have
> a MSDE licence as well.

MSDE isn't the same as SQL Server Desktop Edition. With SQL Server, you
could install the Desktop Edition on a Windows 98 machine, for example, and
you'd get the core SQL Server engine (with some pretty severe size and
functionality limitations) and the Enterprise Manager tools. MSDE, on the
other hand, is simply the SQL Server engine (with its own, different, set of
limitations), with no Enterprise Manager tools.

If you develop applications with Visual Studio, you can redistribute MSDE
with those applications, as an alternative to using Access. You can't
redistribute SQL Server Desktop Edition.

> Do you need a license to install the desktop version of SQL
> Server 2000?

As for needing a license to install SQL Server Desktop Edition, I'm sure you
need one, but I don't know how much it is. You'd also need licenses for
connections, I suspect, if you were to actually have any connections to it.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444