Pete,
you are right concerning <cfscript> but I can't see the limitations
regarding UDFs.

A UDF pre se is meant to be self-contained and therefore not relying on anything
outside it's
own scope. Wouldn't the use of shared data inside a UDF be defeating this
purpose?

You could read a shared scope variable into a local variable and get
that into the UDF do what ever you do and than return a new value,
write that value into your shared data.

Birgit