----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Dawson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Managing DNS via a browser

> interested in taking a look. thanks. I am currently running MS DNS but have
> no reason why I need to be. I'm a penniless bum so I need to keep it cheap
> though.

There are free Windows implementations of Bind as well...

> The DNS entries I am looking to maintain are going to be about as simple as
> they can be. I'm not neccessarily interested in having a toolkit for clients
> to manage their DNS, but rather have canned DNS entries for the domains
> ready to be added when a domain is registered.
>
> Specifically in fuzzy detail. I want to build a community site network, open
> source and freely distributed. at the core will be a hosting service that is
> built from the same engine that is freely distributed. I intend to offer a
> free domain service for the community sites that subscribe to my hosting
> service (hosting nominally priced to cover cost) - I am trying to get
> alive.ca as the free domain (ie www.hamilton.alive.ca) but also support
> domain registrations integrated in the administration toolkit if they want
> to get their own name.
>
> I plan to plugin subscription services like everyone.net into the admin
> toolkit for the community site network. (although I should set up my own
> email services right Howie?)

Yes, absolutely :-)

And, so that you have good Karma all around you need to vote for iMS in the CFDJ Most
Innovative category <g>

> so if I understand what I want to do correctly, the DNS management can be
> handled with a very simple user interface. ie turn Service on - turn service
> off. (and then on the backend we determine what the entries are going to
> be).

Yes, I think so.  The company that I know doing this schedules their DNS server to
restart every 1/2 hour although
cfx_servicecontrol can do the restart whenever you want.

> I wish I had a little extra time these days.

Ha, don't we all!

Regards,

Howie