From: Bud [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 02 November 2001 14:33
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Caching Queries

On 11/2/01, Fiona Barker penned:
>If you have a heavy load site, caching a query for 3-4 seconds will improve
>performance without your data being out of date: Person A requests the
>query, it is cached. People B,C,D,E,F,G,H all request the same query within
>the next 3-4 seconds and reeive the cached version. Person A refreshes
their
>screen immediately and, since the timeout will have passed, will receive a
>refreshed data set.

I always presumed that the caching timeout was reset every time the
query is called. Are you saying that the person who calls the query
initially (while it is not cached) is the only one that can reset the
timeout?

In other words, what you appear to be saying is that person A caches
the query (set to 4 seconds). B calls it 1 second later (still
cached), C calls 1 second later (still cached), D calls it 1 second
later (still cached), E calls it 1 seconds later (still cached), A
calls again it 1 second later and it is no longer cached? I thought
that if it is called every second it will stay cached indefinitely
(or until it becomes the last query in the maximum number of queries
to cache)  no matter who calls it.

Can anyone else verify which is correct?
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/