I've been trying to brush up on my CF skills and I'm a bit confused with
 Request Variables.

I've been through Ben Forta's CF5 Construction Kit and Danesh CF4 books and
 I only see reference to Request Variables in discussions of Custom Tags as
 a variable type that can be shared and changed by both the custom tag and
 the calling template.  That makes sense to me, if I understand it
 correctly.

But I have also seen the Request Scope mentioned on this list and in sample
 code in other contexts.  Some defining Application variables such as
 datasource name and User Access data.

So I guess my question are:

1.  What exacty is the Request Scope?

2. How are Request Variables similar or different from Session or
 Application Variables?

3. When should/shouldn't Request Variables be used?

4.  What about locking?  I've read that Request Variables don't need to be
 locked.  Is that true?  Why not?

TIA

Terry