Diana

Will the remote client allow you to place a program on their server?

If do you can:

   initiate a scheduled task every 5 minutes on your server

   query your local database for changes (last 5 min)

   build the SQL commands & data to update the remote DB

   optionally encrypt the data

   Serialize the above to a WDDX packet

   send (post) to the program (a stub program) on the remote site via cfhttp
   using SSL

The stub program

   receives a posted WDDX packet

   deserializes it to the original format (SQL commands & data)

   optionally decrypts it

   executes the above against the remote (local to the stub) db.

   serializes any SQL results recordset as a WDDX packet

   returns this to the caller (outputs the above WDDX packet)

With the same (or a separate) cfhttp request, you can query the
remote db and return its changes to the local server.

The net result of all this is that you can manipulate (update.
Select, etc.) the remote db as if it is local to you.

The stub program can be written in CF or any language that supports
WDDX (ASP, Perl...)

If the remote site wants to secure/limit the stub program, you can
furnish it to them, they can add whatever security or limits, and
install it themselves... so you need not have unnecessary access to
their db.

This is more complicated to explain than it is to implement.

I use a similar scheme all the time to manipulate clients' databases
on sites remote to me.

HTH

Dick