We tried the ColdFusion solutions and several of the commercial solutions.
The best thing we've come across (for the price) is a set of COM objects
discussed in the book Windows NT/2000 ADSI Scripting for System
Administration. The author distributes the precompiled COM objects from his
Web site at http://www.newriders.com/adsi_web/index.htm. Don't forget to buy
the book though. :)

For examples of how to use the COM objects, have a look at the tag CF_ADSI
in the Allaire Developer Exchange. It is a wrapper for the one of the COM
objects. The tag may provide enough functionality for what you want to do.
However, it only implements a subset of the functionality in one of the
available COM objects.

We were using Lewis Seller's CFX tags before we found this. The CFX tags
were a god send when we found them. However, we had some difficulty getting
them to talk to some of our servers. In addition, they made for tricky
development. By this I mean that two tags will seemingly do the same thing
but return the results in different variable datatypes. Also, naming
conventions were not completely standardized between the tags. It got a bit
confusing. If you have a C++ programmer on staff, these issue can be
overcome. We didn't, so we made do.

In general, the COM objects require more code than the CFX tags, but the
author was religious about naming conventions and datatypes, though lots of
the results are returned in lists. We haven't experienced any problems
talking to various 2000 and NT servers.

Both should work for what you want to do.

Benjamin S. Rogers
http://www.c4.net/
v.508.240.0051
f.508.240.0057