From: Gyrus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 15 November 2001 02:47
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Session and Client Variables

> And yes, client variables DO "time out".

What's the timeout period? I wasn't aware of this, would
be nice to know for when I do use them.

> Bottom line:  session variables suck.  I hate them.  They are the bane

> of CF.  I hate how people put gigantic structures in session variables

> and
then
> use them like simple variables.  I hate how people forget to lock
> session variables.  I hate how people don't know when to use
> type="exclusive" vs. type="readonly".  I hate all the workarounds so
> that you don't have to
lock
> session vars (talk about doing extra work to be lazy).  I hate how
> they
make
> deployment of scalable apps a huge headache.

I use session variables with no hassle. Seems odd to hate something
because of other people's misuse of them. I don't use them for large
structures and I know how to lock them properly. They're fine! :)

Curious to know how they might affect scalability, though. Doesn't
affect much of my current work, but - of course - it might in the
future. What are the precise scalability pro's of client variable
storage in a DB? Why/how would you use them when you want to store
session-specific variables whose timeout period you can control?

- Gyrus