Searching through the Allaire forums, we see that we're not the only ones
experiencing a problem with ColdFusion 5 in respect to CFHTTP and FQDNs.
Specifically, a CFHTTP request to the same domain that is making the request
fails. The error message is the ubiquitous CFHTTP "Connection Failure." I've
included the debugging information from CFDUMP below.

Substituting the IP address for the domain works. In addition, substituting
a domain other than the one making the request but one still pointed at the
same IP address works. It would seem that ColdFusion parses a CFHTTP request
for its own domain differently than in any other scenario. Perhaps this is
for performance reasons? Who knows but it is clear there is a problem.

Has anyone come across a real fix or been able to narrow down the cause of
problem? We're experiencing the problem on Windows 2000 running IIS 5 and
ColdFusion Server 5 Professional Edition, though many of the people
reporting the problem in the Allaire forums seem to be running Apache on
Linux.

Here is one of the discussions on the Allaire forums:
http://forums.allaire.com/coldfusion/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=214174
&highlight_key=y&keyword1=cfhttp&keyword2=connection%20failure

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Benjamin S. Rogers
http://www.c4.net/
v.508.240.0051
f.508.240.0057

========== CFDUMP Output ==========

FILECONTENT connection failure

HEADER HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0 Date: Tue, 27
Nov 2001 15:38:49 GMT Content-Type: text/html Content-Length: 111

MIMETYPE text/html

RESPONSEHEADER
CONTENT-LENGTH 111
CONTENT-TYPE text/html