From: Chris Wigginton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 7:27 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Slightly OT - Forcing Style Sheets

Let's try this again... (note to self, the list trims at hyphen lines)

Here are three methods you can approach this one.

1) Server Side Dynamic Style Sheets inline
Use a cfinlude where the cfm template dynamically generates inline style
information.  Then all you have to do is include that such as in a standard
header.  You code the included template to dynamically generate specific
styles based on your conditionals.

<cfoutput>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!--
H1 { color: #STYLECOLOR#; font-family: #STYLEFONT# }
P { background: #STYLEBKGNDCOLOR#; font-family: #STYLEPARAGRAPHFONT# }
-->
</STYLE>
</cfoutput>

Note: You can do some real nifty dynamic style sheets using personalization,
such as giving a user the capability of setting
up their own skin.

2) Server Side Static Styles
Use ColdFusion to determine the appropriate stylesheet and create the
appropriate html that loads in the style sheet

<cfoutput>
        <LINK REL=stylesheet HREF="#STYLENAME#.css" TYPE="text/css">
</cfoutput>

2) Client Side Static Selected
Where you have the various styles defined and then based on the browser
being used, JavaScript loads the appropriate style sheet.

Put the following in a styles.js file

function style(){
        // Some tests here... where you check the browser type
        //and then set the browser var
        // cook your own conditionals, this shows you how to apply different
style sheets

        if (browser == "ie") {
                document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'
href='styles/ie.css' title='styles'>");
        } else if (browser == "nav") {
                document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'
href='styles/nav.css' title='styles'>");
        } else if (browser == "ieMac") {
                document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'
href='styles/ieMac.css' title='styles'>");
        } else {
                document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'
href='styles/default.css' title='styles'>");
        }

Put the following in your CFM or HTML page just before the </HEAD> tag

<script language="javascript" src="styles.js"></script>
<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
style();
//-->