> First and foremost,
> any feedback at all is much appreciated.
>
> Well, I know I phrased my question inappropriately.
> What I really want to know is:
> If anyone has ever attempted to store files in the
> database (files such as .pdf, any image files, word
> documents, text files, cad drawings, you name it
> files.)
>
> If anyone has successfully done so.
>
> If anyone made attempts and was either not
> successfull, or could not satisfied with that
> implementation.
>
> If they were not successful, if it was due to any
> limitations of the db driver or limitations with
> coldfusion.

I did fully understand your query, and was simply being concise.  For the
long answer:

I have stored files in a DB, and the only issues i have seen are in
ColdFusion's string handling.  That is, attempts to dump files into a
variable have lead to some corruption of the data.  Dumping the file
contents directly in/out of the DB have been successful.  I have not used
this in a multi-user environment due to the harsh performance issues (about
3x slower than the filesystem).  So, i have not accounted for all possible
file content combinations and their interaction with a DB server (or its
drivers).

This is also a widely unsupported means of managing files.  So, it might
occur that after your have stuffed 3000 files into the DB that one
mission-critical file isn't going to work and attempts to find support will
result in a lot of "i told ya so" responses.

So, in general, i've seen it work, but the performance sucks.  If
performance/scalability isn't your concern, and you don't need guaranteed
file integrity (unless you implement something programmatically), then go
for it.  I personally would seek alternate means of dealing with the
security problem, rather than using an ill-suited tool and counting on not
having more than X simultaneous users.

HTH
-Ryan