MS-SQL Stored procedures are stored with their 'compiled' execution plan. If
you issue a query from an application, SQL Server has to determine the
execution plan before running ... determine which indices there are and which
one(s) would be the best to use. So if you use SPs you could gain performance.

However, you might not be able to take advantage of compiled execution plans
if you are passing in embedded parameters. In this case you should take a
look at sp_executesql.

Also, if you use SPs ... you can change your underlying SQL without modifying
your code. Especially nice if you use the same query in multiple CF templates.

You might want to take a look at CFs query caching capability.

Cheers,
Bill