My favorite security admin is much more amenable to opening a hole in a
firewall for FTP than for drive sharing. The firewall can probably be set
to allow information through an FTP port (you can even pick a weird FTP
port if you have access to all of the machines) but limit traffic through
that port to requests coming from the IP address of the server. It's not
perfect but you aren't going to get the files there without opening at
least one port on the firewall to outside traffic.