This is a very important question in my opinion... and I have been
 scrounging the net looking for a solution I can implement.

I would certainly appreciate someone throwing a light switch so I can see
 the solution more clearly. As Dave clearly points out... we can NOT use the
 cgi.http.referrer variable.

Curious, would having application.cfm check a <client.LoggedIn> or
 <session.LoggedIn> variable keep users with other tools like Dave suggested
 from being successful?

till next time,
Brian