From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 9:42 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: OT: pdf

Steven Dworman wrote:

> Here's the deal.  A client has an extremely important pdf that they
want
> locked down.  What this means is that they want to burn it on a cd,
make the
> cd copy protected, and not allow the user to save the file after it's
been
> opened.  On top of that they want to prevent the user from doing a
"select
> all" "copy" "paste".

Don't think that making a CD copy protected will work. Generally this
protects the complete CD from being copied, not the individual files. It

works through one of the executables that is on the CD. Since a .pdf is
not an executable and is opened using the executable (Acrobat Reader)
from the user I don't think that making the CD copy protected and the
file readable will work.

> Can this be done?  Any solution is a consideration.

User makes screenshot, runs screenshot through OCR and has the text
back. It can't be done. You can keep honest people honest, but that is
it.

Jochem