At 10:48 AM 01/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > At 10:15 AM 01/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >

> >   They are global to the request, the same way that
> > application or server
> > variables are.  Unlike application / server variables, they are not,
> > persistent among separate requests.
> >
> >   They are Global, but not persistent.  I view each
> > ColdFusion template as
> > its own program.
>
>Perhaps I'm being anal here, and, folks, feel free to just ignore me.
>But I still say global is a bad word. As I will describe below, you will
>see that the variables are NOT global.

  How would you define global, then?  I suppose it is just a matter of
perspective.
  They are not global to the server.  They are not global to the
application.  They are global to the page request.

> >   I don't see much use beyond "A way to avoid sending
> > parameters to custom
> > tags."  Unless I'm mistaken the only difference between the
> > variables scope
> > and the request scope is that variables in the request scope
> > are  available
> > to custom tags.
>
>As well as onRequestEnd.cfm

  I use OnRequestEnd so rarely, I was unaware that the variables scope was
not available to it.

> > >Request variables are NOT global at all. If I set request.foo to
> > >randrange(1,100), I will get a different request.foo
> > variable then you
> > >will (most likely ;).
> >
> >    You mean you will get a different request.foo variable for
> > each request,
> > correct?  The value is not going to randomly change with each
> > access?  If
>
>Yes, it will. That is why I'm saying that you are wrong about calling
>request a 'global' scope. It is only defined for the requst.
>
>So, if Bob hits your site, request.foo will be 5, for instance, and Mary
>will have 22.
>
>Make sense?

  Yes, but I believe you misunderstood my original statement.  In the case
above, there are two separate requests and therefore two separate values.
  Let's use the scenario you mentioned:

  Bob hits the site, request.foo is equal to 5.
  Mary hits the site and request.foo is equal to 22.
  Bob outputs request.foo and the value 5 is output  (correct?)
  Mary outputs request.foo and the value is 22 (correct?)
  Bob's request ends
  Mary's request ends.

  Bob's value will not change when Mary hits the site.  That is what I
meant when I said the value will not randomly change with each access.  I
meant each time a single request accesses the variable.

--
Jeffry Houser | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM: Reboog711  | ICQ: 5246969 | Fax / Phone: 860-223-7946