If you create a word document, and save it as an rtf file, then open it
up in notepad, you'll see all the garbled junk like:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\uc1\deff0\stshfdbch0\stshfloch0\stshfhich0\stshf
bi0\deflang1033\deflangfe1033{\fonttbl{\f0\froman\fcharset0\fprq2{\*\pan
ose 02020603050405020304}Times New Roman;}

Using that, you could make a template file, save it as an rtf, then
paste it into your template, and then place your cfoutputs where you
need to put your data. Once that is done, just output it as a doc file
using cfcontent.

<cfcontent type="application/msword">

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\uc1\ blah blah blah

<cfoutput>#myparagraph#</cfoutput>

{\fs20\insrsid6363204 \tab \tab \tab
}{\fs20\insrsid6363204\charrsid6363204
\par }}