chr(233) is that funky "e"  é

The "bell" is a good choice. chr(07).

I had the exact same problem last night with a structure.  I was populating
it with a grouped query and it worked great for a month... then died.
(someone added a field with a comma)
 I changed the

StructKeyList(MyStruct) to StructKeyList(MyStruct,chr(07))

Then fixed my output loop

<cfloop list="#StructKeyList(MyStruct)#" index="ThisItem"
Delimiters'"#chr(07)#">

The same solution will work for you.  Whenever you do a ListAppend() or
ArrayToList() or any of the "list" stuff always supply the optional
delimiter... and you know the "bell" charachter is pretty safe. Of course,
then you will always need to supply that paramater in all your list
functions.  Granted a few extra keystrokes but after last night I am not
like going to forget ;-)

Happy coding! éh!