We are currently getting an inordinant amount of restarts as well. We also see
alot (over 10,000) i/o errors a day due to clients not waiting for a response from
our bogged down oracle 8i database server. We also recieved over 7,000 timeouts
even after bumping the timeout up to 45 second and still get the restarts after
turning off the "restart after .. unresponsive threads" I have gone over this many
times with our dba's but it seems that our managment is unconcerned with a
horribily slow website compared to wanting to do test restores of a 14 tera-gig db
on our ecom database server durring peak usage times of our website. What I am
saying is check the database server for bottlenecks there. It is what brings our
cf server and apps crashing down regularly.
 Thanks,
 Frederic