From: Carol Bluestein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 11:02 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: How to Find Hidden Characters -- maybe related to whitesp...

Subject:
How to Find Hidden Characters -- maybe related to whitespace issue
---------------------------------

Greetings all.

I'm having one !@#%$#$^$%^& of a time figuring this out.
Can anyone out there help?

The Task: Taking the information from the error/cferror variables
saving them in a log file which can then be displayed in EXCEL, with
one column per variable.

The Problem: everything works EXCEPT error.diagnostics, which
insists on placing itself in two columns.

The Analysis: The diagnostics  information is preformatted by
coldFusion and contains a hidden cr/lf or paragraph marker(s) that
I can not  seem "read" programmatically so that I can remove it.

The Question:  How do I do this... remove these hidden characters?

Testing so far has shown that I can remove the hidden marker by
removing a block of space in which it is contained, but it requires
that I have seen where it occurs and for which type of error and an
assumption that it will always "look" the same for each error.

If I try to remove just "extra spaces" in a loop, the hidden character
does not get "caught" and remains.

Anyone have any ideas.... I've been working on this for several days.

Thanks,
Carol

Carol Bluestein
TAAD, Senior Programmer