What kind of DB are you using?  One way we've accomplished this in the past
is to actually create a "floating" Excel data source.  We upload the file
and use CFFile to copy it into the right position and give it the right
name.  Once in place, we query the Excel data source and then insert into
the SQL Server one.

That was an old solution and we have a looping process in place as well that
limits the number of records dealt with to 100 per load.  If you're using
SQL Server there are DTS packages or Bulk Insert options available as well.

HTH
Hatton