You could have separate datasources, but you could also extend the
heirarchy one more step. For example: message -> thread -> forum -> group
AND NOW -> site. So the index of each forum needs a site id and everything
falls from there. It depends on how integrated you want the forums to be.
This way, you'd only need one registration across all sites.