> Thanks for the clarification on Access, I believe you're
> right since it's not a truly relational product.

I don't think that's really the reason, though, but rather that its locking
is less granular than SQL Server's or Oracle's.

> However, I always use CFTry and CFCatch with Inserts and
> Update queries.  The majority of errors occur when modifying
> the data.

There's nothing wrong with that, I don't think. What I should have said, was
that you don't need to use it within the CFTRANSACTION. The CFTRANSACTION
won't run subsequent queries if the first one fails (assuming they're using
the same datasource, of course). There's nothing wrong with placing the
entire CFTRANSACTION within a CFTRY block, to catch exceptions returned by
the CFTRANSACTION.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496