Yes that's correct.  In SQL Server you need to pick the right datatype for you data
vs. choosing a
length.  If you are trying to restrict the length then do it in your data entry form
(which you
should do anyways...but I digress).

To get up to speed on SQL Server datatypes you should have a look in the Online Books
that comes
with SQL Server.  There is a very good decsription of each type.

HTH

Bryan Stevenson
VP & Director of E-Commerce Development
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc.