Something like: (untested)

Replace(ListFirst(citation, ":"), "keywords", "ALL")

Dave

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Leder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 10:19 AM
Subject: Output to a phrase

I have a database with a number of citations. Each record
 contains
one citation.  The citations can vary in word length from maybe
 20
words to well over 100 words.  In each citation is a word phrase

named "keywords:" (note the colon).  The phrase "keywords:"
 occurs at
a different point within each citation (however only occurring
 once
per citation).

What I want to do is something similar to the following:

<cfoutput>#Left(query.field, 20)# </cfoutput>.

However, instead of displaying just the first 20 characters in
 this
example, I want to display all words up to just before the phrase

"keywords:" - even though each citation will have a different
quantity of words prior to the phrase "keywords:"

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Mark Leder, [EMAIL PROTECTED] on 2/20/2002