> What is webroot\main\ide.cfm.  I found it in my web
> directory, and I didn't explicitly put it there, so I
> figure that it must have been done during the ColdFusion
> 5 install. A google search on the filename reveals
> tons of pages..  ( ?)
>
> The text of the page is a simple HTML page, no body just a
> head with the title text "IDE Interface Base Page" .

As others have already mentioned, this is the page that acts, in a way, as
the interface for RDS clients.

What hasn't been mentioned is that, in prior versions of CF, the location of
the Main folder has been within CFIDE, and that's actually the path that CF
Studio uses for RDS requests.

Basically, the file and directory are simply placeholders. They don't
actually do anything. However, when you use CF Studio to connect via RDS,
it'll send a request that looks something like this:

POST /CFIDE/Main/ide.cfm HTTP/1.1
..

Now, the interesting thing is that there's actually a minor bug in CF 5 (on
Windows, anyway) - it puts this directory in the wrong place. It puts the
directory in your web root, instead of putting it in the /CFIDE directory.

Most of the time, this doesn't matter, but it may cause odd things to
happen. For example, if you're using Apache as a web server (at least on
Windows), you won't be able to connect via RDS, because Apache has to check
the permissions on the file before the CF module can handle the request. Of
course, if the file is in the wrong place, Apache's permissions check will
fail, and so will the RDS request. The fix in this case is to simply move
the directory to the proper location within CFIDE.

Another odd thing may occur with IIS. By default, you may place permissions
on the directory or file, and prevent anonymous access to RDS that way - or
you may enable SSL. However, by default, IIS doesn't check for a file's
existence before passing the request to the appropriate ISAPI extension, so
any ACLs you set on the directory won't ever be checked, because the file is
in the wrong place, and CF doesn't really care about the file at all - as
mentioned above, CF is simply looking for that POST request for the file.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444