I'm sending this quick note out to (hopefully) prevent some frustration for
a few people...

I've had almost the exact same problem twice... On our CF servers "helper
applications" only run from C:, not D:. For example, I just installed Java
so we can use Verisign to do our credit card processing. (They have other
tools, but there is a custom tag for Java). So I installed Java on the D:
drive on the *development* server, along with all the web content and web
apps, and everything works fine.

However, if I install Java on the D: drive on our *production* servers, Java
will not run from CF. If I remove Java from production's D: and then install
it on C:, everything runs fine.
I was getting the following error: "The JVM library could not be found.
Please check if the file specified in the ColdFusion Administrator actually
exists." even though the path was correct. When I reinstalled Java, I just
changed the drive letter in the path, nothing else. Again, everything worked
fine, then.
A few months ago I had a similar problem with Verity. The collections were
on D: on development and worked fine. But on production, they would not work
from the D: drive. If I moved the collections to the C: drive, everything
would work fine.

So, next time you are having a really odd problem that works on one machine,
but not another, and involves CF using another application, try switching
disks. It might work.

Hope it helps someone!

P.S. our hardware:
        Development server:     1 - Intel 333 MHz, Win NT 4.0, SP6, CF
Server 4.5.1 running on a no-name clone.
        Production server:      1 - Intel 333 MHz, Win NT 4.0, SP6, CF
Server 4.5.1
                                1 - Intel 1.0 GHz, Win NT 4.0, SP6, CF
Server 4.5.1

   Jeff Polaski