> Need help with an issue. I need to be able to detect the users
> encryption level set in there browser. If the users browser
> does not support 128 bit encryption, I'm gonna bump them to
> a page telling them to upgrade their browser.
>
> I know there is a cgi environment variable (https_keysize),
> but that only functions on a secure page (https). If the users
> browser is 40 bit, they can't get to the https page for me to
> able to use this variable.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't do this using standard CGI variables.
You can have an HTTP page that you use as a gateway to HTTPS, which explains
what will happen if they don't support 128-bit encryption, but that's it.

However, you could allow the page to use 40-bit encryption, which would get
around the problem. I believe (though I'm not entirely sure) that, in IIS at
least, you can simply enable encryption, and if both browser and server
support 128-bit keys, they'll be used. If not, they'll use 40-bit keys. Of
course, if you check the "Require 128-bit keys" option in IIS, that won't
work.

> Any ideas? I was also thinking of maybe doing a browser detect...
> but I'm not certain if users could have upgraded their security
> levels and not their browsers.

I don't think that'll help, since at least with IE, security is dependent on
an OS component rather than on the specific browser version.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444