CF + FLASH would/could work in theory - the "visual" system would have to
have symbols (flash term) for each character/symbol you needed (perhaps with
a scrolling up/down sort of fly-wheel system of choosing them) - which could
then be "dragged and dropped" onto a "math page" - this would trigger an
event that would append the associated character/symbol to each symbol into
a variable - this variable string (xml string) could be added to and
subtracted from (with an eraser tool that would "undo" the last move) -
which in turn would be stored to a file/database when the equation if
completed.

Things to look out for would be translation of special characters/symbols
(e.g. *,%,{,[ etc) as this would effect the ActiveScript (AS) - so perhaps a
codex that used a number based system that could be translated from the
xml/data string on saving the equation.

Secondly you would have to work it so that "picking up" a symbol and
dropping it on the "math page" would trigger a one off event - if the very
same symbol was then picked again and moved around the page then dropped
again this should not trigger the character/symbol appending function.  Also
is a similar symbol (another "x" for example) was then picked up and dropped
on the "math page" the AS would have to realise this.

Thirdly you would not be able to "save" the visual product though - with the
placement of all the symbols on the "maths page" so that when a user came
back they would have to re-build each equation - unless another complex
logic was used in creating both x,y co-ordinates and saved these too in an
array.... Getting complex now...

What you are talking about here is a very complex integration system -
perhaps a java applet may be better...

Interesting concept tho.

Good luck