> Anyone know if there's such a thing as an MS SQL Server
> 7.0 evaluation version/developer's edition? I grabbed the
> SQL 2000 trial in anticipation of doing some work for a
> client, now it turns out they're running 7, and I'd like to
> do this bit of development on the same version...

There is a developer's edition of both SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000, but
they cost about $500 apiece. I doubt that the evaluation version of SQL
Server 7 is still available from Microsoft, because it's no longer the
current product.

You have some options, though. First, you can do development on SQL Server
2000 and deploy against SQL Server 7 - there are very few differences beyond
new features in SQL Server 2000. For the vast majority of stuff you're going
to do, it won't make a difference.

Also, you can get the SQL 7 compatible version of MSDE, and work against
that. You can use the SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager to manage it,
although you won't want to just install it on your SQL Server 2000 machine.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444