> Yes, we want to be able to use the SQL server indexing.
> In the db I'm already storing a reference to the file,
> for when someone needs to download it.
>
> We're finding that Verity is way too slow when we have a
> mixture of several Verity database collections and a Verity
> file collection. When we output the results of a verity
> search, we need to be able to check that someone has
> access to the file (based on other db data), before it is
> presented to them in the search results. Doing this with
> a SQL index search, we can do all the 'access-checking'
> and search with one query.
>
> Currently searching one of our (optimised) verity database
> collections can take up to 7 secs, doing the same search
> with SQL indexing knocks this down to 0.3 sec.

If you're running CF 5, and you're not using the bundled Verity K2 Server
for searches, you might want to try that out first. It's significantly
faster, and may be a better solution than storing files within the database.

Information on using K2 is available in the CF docs, and here:
http://www.cfugorama.com/cfugorama/codelibrary/loader.cfm?url=/commonspot/se
curity/getfile.cfm&PageID=1727

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/