On 3/16/02, Mike Kear penned:
>Or have I got it all wrong and I'm being unduly harsh on them?   I used to
>get a lot of casual passing traffic to some of my sites through the rings I
>was on,   but I can't see anyone bothering to go through the gymnastics
>they're expected to go through now, can you?

Nope, I don't think you're wrong. As with many things on the net that
started out as a good idea and a convenience to many, they most
likely initially got their dollars through banner ads. Well, that has
dried up, so now alot of these capture, as you say, email addresses,
which they then sell. Alot of them also have little demographic
"surveys" which you can fill out "so they can server you better",
which of course makes your e-mail address worth that much more if
they can show that you are interested in the products the companies
they are selling them to are hawking.

I do not fill out ANY forms or enter my e-mail address ANYWHERE
unless it's totally absolutely necessary to get something done that I
really need or want to get done.
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452