James,

Depends on how detailed you want to go with your meta tags....

One system I've built in times past has a page description and keywords
associated with each item of content, so that when you displayed a page the
description and keywords matched up with the content being displayed along
with some standard keywords for the whole site.

Other stuff I've written just has a standard set of keywords and
descriptions that run throughout the site.

As far as code is concerned - either way I have something along these
lines....

<cfset request.pageMetaKeywords = "my keywords.....">
<cfset request.pageDescription = "my Description">
etc...  You get the picture ;o)

Then in the page headers I have some cfoutputs that use those variables in
the meta tags.

If I want to change the keywords or description in between times, then you
just set the above variables to whatever you need.

To get this to work, you can either use cfhtmlhead to push the meta tags
into the header when you get to the bottom of your display or do all the
required processing for the content for the entire page, then do the
display.

Hope that helps..

Regards

Stephen