> Here is my application.cfm file:
>
> <cfapplication name="appname"
> applicationtimeout=#CreateTimeSpan(2, 0, 0,
> 0)#>
>
> <cfparam name="application.appnameroot" default="/appname">
> <cfparam name="application.includesDir" default="/appname/includes">
> <cfparam name="application.imagesDir" default="/appname/images">
> <cfparam name="application.menusDir" default="/appname/menus">
> <cfparam name="application.templatesDir" default="/appname/templates">
> <cfparam name="application.smapDir" default="/appname/smap">
>
> Should I be locking these cfparam tags?

Yes. Make sure you set TYPE="EXCLUSIVE", since you may be setting the
values.

> Should I wrap them all in one lock or should I lock each
> one individually?

I'd wrap them all in one lock.

> What is the difference between using cfparam tags as I have
> above and using cfif with isDefined and cfset to accomplish
> the same thing?

There's no functional difference between the two.

> Is one method a better practice than the other?

That's a good question. I use CFPARAM for this, myself, but I suspect that
it performs more slowly in certain situations. In any case, though, the
difference will be insignificant, and one line of code is better than three,
all other things being equal.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496